From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:42:32 -0500
Michael Cooper writes:

>Regardless of whether recordings are good for concerts or vice versa,
>I want to mention that this LIST is definitely good for classical music.

It certainly is!!!!  Over the years the list has introduced me to fine
composers and works I was previously unfamiliar with, greatly enriching
my musical life and costing me money as well.  I do regret that there
is not more discussion of contemporary music.  In addition there has
been relatively little discussion lately of the BIG ISSUES - always
stimulating.  Example: my evil twin Smernard (Professor Emeritus of
Misanthropy) maintains that music is in the final analysis simple a
gemisch of sound waves impinging on your ears - how in the world can
that convey emotion or the price of cream cheese for that matter?

And, most absurd of all, how can music be deemed spiritual?  I think
that he is wrong but I am having trouble convincing him.  Can anyone
help me?  Or, for that matter help Smernard?  (He is after all, family.)

Bernard Chasan