From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 11:36:34 -0700
Tom Davey ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I think the most charming cinematic reference to Mahler might be a brief
>moment in the 1983 romantic comedy "Educating Rita."
>
>Rita's new, bohemian roommate is blasting music from the stereo and,
>"Wouldn't you just *die* without Mahler?"

I first saw this movie in Leominster, Ma and can distinctly recall nodding
in agreement with the line.

>And the music that's playing? The 4th movement of the 6th Symphony!  Stern
>stuff.  The roommate's reference to death is inspired, although the musical
>excerpt heard didn't include any of the hammer blows!

And later, when Rita returns to find her flatmate has attempted suicide,
we see the stylus bumping against the centre of an LP with the yellow DG
label clearly shown.  Presumably this was, therefore, either Abbado's or
Karajan's recording.

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)