From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:51:19 -0700
An interesting point was made in the thread on "Where is the value..."
which I would like to get the list's opinion on, or I should say opinions,
since there are sure to be many.

It is the issue of a composer's "style" vs.  their "voice".  I presume
that their voice is what they are saying and their style is how they are
saying it but the question comes to mind as to what are the elements of
each.  Does voice equal the kind of melodies and style equal sound effects
gotten, say in accompaniment? Do we indenify a composition by a composer'
style or their voice, i.e.  "that's definitely a Beethoven melody".  Are
these even the correct terms? There does seem to be two things going on
here.  A set of variations may be the voice or one composer played in the
style of another.  I think this was raised in the sense of "its OK to copy
a composer's style as long as you don't copy their voice".  I know how to
copy a style but how does one copy their voice?

Bill Pirkle