From:
Ron Ackermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:16:06 -0500
Patrik Enander wrote:

>I certanily agree.  I've been an avid reader of Gramophone for a couple
>of years and I feel like this new format is a bit like Gramophone is going
>tabloid.  Perhaps it's the new owner Haymarket who seems to know a lot
>about finance but less about loving music (I'm thinking of the handling
>of IPQ.)

I have been a regular reader of Fanfare and Gramophone for nearly 20
Years.  I think the two magazines compliment each other nicely.  I view
Gramophone primarily as a source of information on new releases and as a
quick reference for information on the recording garnered from the review.
Fanfare is more hard core and I read the reviews more carefully because
they include so much information on the recording and the recorded history
of the piece.  In neither case do I rely on the reviewers opinion in
determining what to buy.

Therefore, given what I use Gramophone for, I rather like the new format;
but I want Fanfare to stay just the way it is.

Ron Ackermann