From:
Stirling Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:55:21 -0400
David H queries:

>Dear All, I have long been wanting to hear Beethoven's late string quartets
>and finally bought a 2 CD set from a slae bin (Budapest String Quartet, rec
>1940 & 1942 on Sony Masterworks Heritage Mono).
>
>I have quickly become hooked on this music.  The penultimate quartet is
>my favourite, especially the glowing slow movement and energetic finale.
>
>However, can I ask if there is a better version I should be listening to?

Tell us, is there a best way to visit Vienna? There are so many different
Viennas to visit, and each traveller comes back telling different tales.
The Budapest String Quartet recording is indeed a marvellous traveller's
tale from the country of Beethoven's late quartets, rich without being
excessively plus, sharp by turns and filled with the kind of subtle
inflection of intonation that Casals, another child of that era, detailed
so well.

But there are indeed many other wonderful accounts of these wonderful works
- not just on recording, but given the relatively small audience for string
quartets, live as well for relatively little money.

But there is another direction to go - have you considered looking into
those most Beethoven inspired of quartets - the late Schostakovich
quartets?

stirling s newberry
http://www.mp3.com/ssn