From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:05:07 -0500
I'm not really sure whether what I hear is "sad" or "happy" in itself.
I wonder whether the current state of my own emotions color the music.
For example, the "Reconciliation" movement of Vaughan Williams's Dona
nobis pacem always brings me to the point of tears, but the text (or the
first part of it) is one of hope.

  Word over all, beautiful as the sky,
  Beautiful that war and all its deeds of carnage must in time
  be utterly lost,
  That the hands of the sisters Death and Night incessantly,
  softly, wash again and ever again this soiled world ...

Beethoven's Elegaic Song and Faure's Agnus Dei from his Requiem do the
same for me, but they're both basically benedictions.

Steve Schwartz