From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:00:26 +1100
Don Satz, referring to classical music:

>I think it's doing great in the free world.  So much to choose from that
>I can hardly keep with it.  It's private enterprise that provides it all
>to me.  Enter state control, and it would all be screwed up within a year.

I guess it depends on the state.  I've always been grateful for the
cornucopia of cheap records that Supraphon and other labels produced so
successfully in the LP era, and managed to do so under the dead hand of
communism.  But things have changed, not only in that part of the world,
and I think Don's probably right.

Richard Pennycuick