From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:22:47 +0000
Peter Goldstein wrote:

>But although I disagree with most of what Bob says, I understand exactly
>where he's coming from.  It took me a very long time to appreciate Mozart,
>mainly because I was such a Haydn devotee.  I looked in Mozart for Haydn's
>wiry strength, crystal-clear beauty, and intellectual power, and didn't
>find any of them.  I decided I just didn't get it, and put away Mozart for
>many years.  When I came back, I still loved Haydn, but had broadened my
>tastes considerably.  This time I got it, and I'm still getting it.

I've heard this before. But I appreciate the empathy it portrays.

I try to be, always open to the possibility of review of my opinions.
Indeed currently I am re-evaluating Handel upwards.  (Has anyone heard
Scipione? some marvellous music there, yet little known.)

However It's 11 years now since I got my first taste of Mozart and I am
still struggling to 'Get It'.

But there's still a lot yet to listen to I amid.

It is tedious for me to keep putting in criticisms of the man.  But the
subject is always raised by others here first.  I just respond.

Even a few of the Mozart fans here are admitting that the admiration goes
far beyond common sense.  I would be the first to concede that 20-30 of
the early Haydn symphonies aren't up to much.  But some people would have
us believe that Mozart is a deity.  I'll never buy that.

I think that as a society the need for people to have heros and the
manipulation of this fact by the media often leads to a blind faith
far divorced from reality.  Einstein is another example of over the top
adoration.  Just as he gets the credit for the work of Newton, Lorenz,
Poincre, Minkovsky, Plank, Reinmann, Michelsohn and Fitzgerald so Mozart
gets credit due to Haydn, CPE Bach, Handel and Gluck.

It is irritating to see so many versions of the Mozart adaptation of The
Messiah appearing on the shelves purely because his name is bigger than
Handel's.  Also, I have often read that Mozart developed the symphony.  In
the face of such intimidation is it little wonder I occassionally hit back?

Bob Draper