From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 02:46:40 +0100
James Tobin wrote:

>A correction: it was Esa-Pekka Salonen, not Edo de Waart who was conducting
>the Orchestre de Paris concert I mentioned.  Apologies for this and also
>for all my regrettable typos in these reports.

Our azerty must be treacherous when you are used to qwerty...  and the
very few typos did not make your reports any the less interesting to
read.

By the way, you have no need to have the slightest regret about your
choice of the Schubert concert - a unique opportunity, indeed ("Fierrabras")
- over the Vengerov/Salonen.  A friend of mine attended the concert that
was tempting you across town at Mogador.  The programme was not the one
announced - Vengerov switched from Shostakovich's first violon concerto
to Beethoven's only, and the Stravinsky was the "Firebird".  Apparently,
there were two consolation 'prizes': Vengerov apologized in impeccable
French, (but I don't think he gave his exact reasons), and the Orchestre
de Paris under Salonen gave a brilliant rendition of the "Firebird"
(always welcome).

A (former?) member of MCML has written a review which, if you would care
to, you can read here:

   http://www.concertonet.com/scripts/review.php?ID_review=3362

Christine Labroche