From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 01:57:50 +0100
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>Philip Peters wrote:
>
>>Renato Vinicius wrote:
>>
>>>Is the series of Jeno Jendo - who I never heard - performing of Beethoven's
>>>sonatas, really good or just cheap.
>>
>>Just cheap. He is a totally unimaginative pianist.
>
>You will have to go into more detail than to just dismiss this artist with
>a one liner.  I find Jando's playing, especially his WTC recordings to be
>beautifully played, technically flawless and most interesting.

I am sorry but it's really all I can say about him.  The notes are there
(he's a *good* bookkeeper, technically flawless as you put it) but I don't
hear anything else.  But if there is anything *interesting* about his
Beethoven I'd sure like to know what to look for so please, be my guest and
fill me in.  I haven't heard his WTC and I don't think I will be going to.

>>>Could someone of you compare with Brendel, Gilels, Arrau, Kempff or
>>>Richter.  Is there any pianist of these with whom he look like?
>>
>>He plays like a bookkeeper, just like Backhaus used to do but Jeno is
>>a somewhat less sloppy bookkeper than Backhaus was.  The guy to look for
>>when wanting to buy one whole set is Schnabel.
>
>You have a lousy bookkeeper then.  Mine is posessed of a wonderful
>contralto voice and is a consumate musician.  I stray though.  What's
>sloppy about bookkeeping anyway.  Sloppy bookeepers go to jail.  I must
>insist that you give us some good reasons, documented by examples and
>comparisons as to why this pianist is so awful.  I for one disagree, and
>I detest one line dismissals of another's life's work.  If you must tear
>him down, you must back your claims with something more concrete.

Chill out, son ;) I won't go with you into the merits of bookkeeping.
Although it's better to be confronted with a bookkeeper who is a
consummate musician than with a musician who is a consummate bookkeeper ;)
You can insist all you want, I can't hear any passion, any attempt at
*interpretation* in Jando's playing, whether you like it or not.  I cannot
back this up with *something more concrete*.  You shouldn't get so worked
up about this, it's just my opinion.  Jando's life's work will be there for
you to enjoy regardless of what I think of it.  It's fine with me if
someone else hears something I apparently don't hear but that's all I can
say about it.  I cannot write anything sensible about something which is
*not* there.  Do you really think Jando is on a par with great Beethoven
interpreters like Schnabel, Gilels, Solomon or Fischer? In that case I can
only marvel at how different people sometimes experience things.  I'm
willing to be convinced though...

Philip