From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 19:41:19 PDT
This was a May '99' thread concerning Tureck's DG recording of the Goldberg
Variations (having cd-rom capabilites).  Since that time, I've read many
reviews of the recording and played it numerous times.

Although not all that frequent, reviewers appear to have a general
consensus concerning the Tureck recording and performance:  it's good, but
there's too much staccato, the pace is too slow, emotional levels are
deficient, and the sound is too claustrophobic.  How good could it be?

I have been enjoying Tureck so much that I feel compelled to provide
a final alternative viewpoint.  There is much staccato and the general
feeling is that this disturbs the natural flow of the music.  My opinion
is that the staccato is done so well that it creates its own natural flow.
Tureck draws me in immediately and doesn't let go.

As for the slow pace, its advantage is to highlight the part-playing which
Tureck excels at.  You notice everything.

Emotional levels deficient? It's a matter of taste.  I find nothing
deficient about them.  Tureck does have emotion within her, and she knows
how to reveal it.  She simply doesn't hit you over the head with it.

The sound is close and dry - very analytical.  So is the performance -a
perfect match.

Tureck's is one of the best Goldbergs I've ever heard.  I'm looking forward
to her 2nd entry in the Philips Great Pianists Series; it includes another
Goldberg Variations.

Don Satz