From:
Laurence Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:57:47 -0400
Jan Templiner notes the following"

>Pontinen seems to bake a sport of having the right hand a bit later
>than the left hand.  This is especially bad in the Chopin sonata's
>slow movement.  Almost every chord on the beat is out-of-coordination.
>Is that some kind of artistical gimmick? A new edition of the sonata?
>My ears?

To which I might suggest he consider the words of the Canadian pianist
and composer Gordon Rumson who, in an article entitled "Is music teaching
killing classical music?", states:

   The resulting blandness is quickly evident to audiences.  In pop
   music, the quest for a new voice, a fresh face is feverish.  Each
   artist strives for something unique for him- or herself (whether it
   is important is another question), but it is nonetheless something
   to make that new face stand out in the crowd.

   One might imagine that in classical music the ideal is achievement
   of the maximal degree of sameness.  It is the inevitable fruit of a
   regimented system of education that limits repertoire, limits experience
   and limits options.  It is one of the reasons that, in spite of all
   of the amazing discoveries of performance practice, many performances
   still sound remarkably similar (has anyone recorded The Well-Tempered
   Clavier with notes inegales or Chopin with non-synchronised hands?).

Here's the link:

   http://www.ludwigvanweb.com/navigation/1,1270,18-13,00.html

Larry