From:
Danny Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:04:22 +0800
I am at a crossroad now since my amplifier broke down two weeks ago.  I am
not an audiophile, but would like a reasonably good system to listen to the
only music of my life now, which is of course classical.  My five years old
amplifier is an integrated tube amp with 18 watts of push pull power, which
"died" a natural death in a mess of smoke which threaten to set the living
room on fire!  I have since been bombarded with sincere advice from people
who insisted that nothing less than 100 watts power will do and people who
says that only 10 watts is enough if they are good watts (these are the
tube people).  After auditioning a few, I have come to the conclusion that
for mass orchestral symphony works like Tchaikovsky 1812 overture, the more
watts the merrier, 1000watts if possible.  But I find that 10 watts of pure
single ended amplification (a Jadis 300SE) give the most incredible sounds
to simple single instrument recording.  I heard Lists' Hungarian Rhasphody
No. 2 on this system.  Wow!  Any audiophile classical music fans out there
who can help me out here? Thks!

Danny
Singapore

 [Please confine discussions of equipment to explicitly include classical
 music topics.  Otherwise, please reply privately.  Thanks.  -Dave]