From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:44:23 -0700
Well, Elgar's own are indispensible, if you don't object to 78rpm sound.

Moving on, the obvious recommendations are Boult and Barbirolli, but I'd
recommend the 1944 BBC SO Boult as his finest, a far more fiery performance
than one might expect.

Mackerras does both symphonies well on Argos.  The Naxos 1st under George
Hurst is excellent (although there is an aircheck from 1979 which puts
it in the shade) and Downes' 2nd isn't bad either.

I don't think Vernon Handley's recordings hold up as well as they might,
although his 2nd was the first to use Elgar's suggestion of organ pedals
in the finale and it makes a wonderful effect.

I can't actually think of any really *bad* recordings of either symphony,
although I'm less enamoured of Solti and Slatkin than some.  Surprisingly
enjoyable were a version of BIS by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales
under a Japanese conductor whose name escapes me, and Bernard Haitink's
2nd.

I haven't heard Colin Davis's recent recording(s) which has/have been
garnering good press.  there was IIRC a live 1st issued around 15-16
years ago for some charity, which I thought merely OK, but I'm open to
persuasion.

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>