From:
Roberto Strappafelci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 22:43:43 +0100
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>Classical music is marginal in this culture anyway, even among the
>so-called educated.  People embarrassed to admit that they hadn't read the
>latest Paul Auster novel couldn't even name the last three winners of the
>Pulitzer for music.  I speculate it's at least partly because classical
>audiences seem stuck in the not-even-recent past.  In other words, nothing
>new's happening, so why get interested?

If I can add my humble 2 cents I'll tell you this: we need a fair amount
of tomatoes and a good deal of courage.  Music passes through our ears
before it could reach the brain, at least for the vast majority of people
it works this way.  Every attempt to bypass this physiological path should
be prosecuted by the tomato's law.

Then we can discuss the role of the schools, mass-media, politics,
recording companies, profit, ...

Well, maybe it's a little simplistic but sometimes it helps making it clear.

Roberto Strappafelci