From:
Leslie Kinton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:30:27 -0500
James Tobin wrote in part:

>Horner also did the score for Field of Dreams which I have neither seen
>nor heard; for Titanic, which I saw but never noticed the music; and for
>Braveheart, which is quite different from the others I have heard-- with
>a lot more dynamic and rhythmic range--but clearly from the same pen.

The score for Field of Dreams, in my opinion, is one of the finest
ever done for a film; the movie is also on my top 5 list.  The DVD has
a wonderful documentary on the making of the film, including an extensive
discussion between Phil Robinson (the director and writer of the
screenplay) and James Horner on how the music was written.  The original
novel, called *Shoeless Joe* (one of the best novels of the 20th century),
is by the Canadian writer, W.P.  Kinsella.  This book, because it is not
about beavers, maple trees, Louis Riel, or some other approved form of
Canadian Content, is all but ignored by Can Lit academics here in Canada,
and most of the awards it received are from the USA (I don't think it was
even nominated for a Governor General Award; I'm really proud to be a
Canadian, but sometimes I wonder).

Warning:  anyone who hasn't seen the film, be prepared.  Even after seeing
it over a dozen times, I still cry at the ending, and the music is a big
part of the effect.  I hadn't watched the movie since my father died in
'94, 'till I bought the DVD last month; anyone who has seen the film or
read the book will know the significance of this.

Some of Horner's other scores are for Star Trek II and III, Brainstorm, and
I think also Batteries Not Included.

Leslie Kinton
Piano Faculty, The Glenn Gould Professional School, Toronto.
Anagnoson and Kinton piano duo website: http://www.pianoduo.com (Includes
mp3 sound files)