From:
John Proffitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:17:24 -0600
Don Satz wrote:

>I'm familiar with the NPR Guide, and it seems comparable to most other
>"guides" I have read.  I have two problems with this.  First, NPR has a
>lot of nerve putting out any classical music guide, given the paucity of
>classical music it delivers on the airwaves.  Second, there are dozens of
>persons on this List alone who could easily develop a guide better than
>most I've seen.

This seems to be an unnecessarily cheap shot.

The "Guide" is targeted at classical music neophytes.  It is most
specifically called a guide to the "Basic Record Library".  It is
produced by and in conjunction with the NPR network classical music
program Performance Today, which is the ONLY such program produced
and distributed 7 days a week, 365 days a year by a national network.
Commentator Ted Libbey, who is primarily responsible for the Guide, has
been a respected writer in the field of recorded classical music for many
years.

Performance Today is a major investment in the future of classical music
in this country, by any estimation.  Two hours of commentary, features
and--most of all--recorded musical performances from concert halls around
the country.  Not every NPR station carries it (each station makes its own
independent choice of programs), but those that do tend to report good
audiences, interest from listeners, and a continuing flow of requests for
copies of the "Guide".

Just my two cents worth in attempting to clarify the record.

Regards,

John M. Proffitt
General Manager & C.E.O.
Radio Station KUHF-FM Houston, Texas