From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:38:22 -0800

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:25:18 -0500 Peter Goldstein <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I'm entirely new to the list, so if this is a topic that's been dealt
>with in detail, I apologize.

Oh, one might say that it has been touched upon here or there.

>I'm interested in people's views on
>taking
>repeats, particularly in the works of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and
>their
>contemporaries.

 [snip]
>What should be the
>criteria? What
>is the value of repeats?

The sudden shaking you feel is the collective shuddering of the
subscribers
of this list upon seeing a post with this topic in the header.

The sole criterion should be the wishes of the composer.  Unless a
composer has made it clear that he regards his repeats to be optional,
any conductor or performer who does not observe repeats is depriving
the composer of having his piece played as he wished, and the listener
of hearing it that way.   It's rather like showing only part of a
painting at an
exhibition.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series