From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 12:50:17 -0700
Read John Rockwell's, ahem, *interesting* take on response to the end of
the Chevron/Texaco sponsorship of Met broadcasts:

   "To judge from endemic protests at even slightly outre productions,
   and incessant on-line and in-lobby grousings, too many Americans
   are convinced that opera should be just a sensuous bath in vocal
   timbre and the emotional urgency a great voice and great phrasing
   can convey; for them, theatrical meaning or vibrancy, let alone
   modern-day reinterpretation, is an alien intrusion. And for that
   sadly limited perception, the Met broadcasts must bear considerable
   responsibility."

Somebody should let Rockwell know that the wretched "Matrix" sequel has
all the floor-length trench coats to satisfy even the most rabid fans of
SchlockOpera. I don't know why "vibrancy" requires phallic prosthesis and
the like, but if that's the choice, give me that old-time "sensuous bath
in vocal timbre."

   http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/01/arts/music/01ROCK.html

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org