From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:46:35 -0000
Billy Kitson

>HOW COME here in Australia I only just heard in an aside on Radio the
>"BOURNEMOUTH SYMPHONY" which was built up from provincial nothingness
>to almost top class has died over a YEAR ago

Not true......

The report you heard would have referred to The Bournemouth SINFONIETTA,
the chamber group made from the made symphony orchestra.  That _has_
folded.  However the main Bournemouth SYMPHONY Orchestra is still going as
strong as any orchestra us Britain can go at the moment.  There is a new
funding regime about to kick in so things are not as bleak as they have
been.  The solution is to go and see them all play.

A new release of the Elgar/Payne Third Symnphony played by them comes out
next week, by the way.  Find them at:

   http://www.orchestranet.co.uk/bournsym.html

Tony Duggan, England.
My developing Mahler recordings survey: