From:
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 23:23:34 +0000
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>It is not forbidden to use former works of art as a source of inspiration.
>But where in the play does Shaffer "rifle" Pushkin, where is evidence that
>he "subjected Pushkin to prettified bio-pic processing"?

By expanding it with lavish scenes, about twenty additional extraneous
characters, and oodles of modish sentimentality.

Having had the immense pleasure of playing Salieri in both pieces, and
also having made a singing version of the Pushkin text for the Rimsky
opera, the chief concerns of Shaffer's character ("Is it true that I'm
no genius?" "Is Mozart breaking the Art of Music Apart?" "Am I therefore
justified in poisoning him for the Good of Art?" "Am I deluding myself?"
"How can this intolerable vulgarian be a greater man than I?" "I worked
hard at my technique and he doesn't do a stroke.  It's not fair" "Why does
God allow this" etc.  etc.) are all found much more pithily expressed in
Pushkin's two great monologues for Salieri.  Take a look.

>I begin to think that you are just interested in expressing your dislike of
>the Shaffer play and movie but not in real criticism.  To just say "Shaffer
>is an uncreative idiot" (and this is the essence of your mail) is poor,
>isn't it?

It would be, if I'd said it or even implied it.  My dislike of the play
came from practical experience of it first as an audience member and later
as participant.  Salieri ain't a part you turn down, and it's much better
written than the role of Mozart, which is a shocking dog to make anything
of.

Far from finding him an idiot, I admired Shaffer's chutzpah as an astute,
clever provider of thin, pretentious potboilers which give the fleeting
impression of being art by dragging in Music, God, Divinity, Humanity,
Mystery, Genius and a portmanteau of allied concepts without debating
or explaining anything.

I don't dislike most of his other plays as much as this one, and they
are a good technical challenge to perform in or direct.  Only, one becomes
aware that they are all dressed up and nowhere to go, which leads to an
ultimately hollow experience.

Forgive me, Robert, for not wasting any more of my time than I have in
providing further evidence that "Amadeus", "Royal Hunt of the Sun" and
"Equus" are cunning artifice rather than true art.  I know I wouldn't
change your mind in any case!

Christopher Webber,  Blackheath, London,  UK.
http://www.nashwan.demon.co.uk/zarzuela.htm
"ZARZUELA!"