From:
David Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:32:17 -0400
Donald Scarinci asks:

>What is the consensus (and I use that word loosely) on the Four Symphonies
>conducted by Macerras with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra on the Telarc
>label that came out last year? It seems to have gotten good reviews.

I was distinctly underwhelmed.  The performances are distinctly
soft grained and there are several unwritten crescendos, decrescendos,
etcetera.  I particularly was upset by a crescendo on the second of the
two introductory chords in the third symphony.  If this chord is voiced
properly (listen to Harnoncourt) the crescendo, which isn't in the score,
is totally unnecessary and pointless.  In fact, after long listening to
Mackerras and Harnoncourt, I think Harnoncourt's one of the best complete
sets I've heard.  He gets such balances out of the Berlin Philharmonic that
every strand is audible, yet they blend beautifully.  Mackerras is not a
bad set, but I'd recommend the Harnoncourt.

David Simmons
Virginia Beach, VA