From:
Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 20:58:34 EST
Stirling Newberry writes:

>Therefore, since the signs of music do not have any teachable meaning, and
>the relationship is arbitrary, music cannot express emotions, nor anything
>else, because the words are not taught.  Hence music can only express
>music.

Maybe the relationship is arbitrary.  But just because I cannot
perfectly explain (to stick with my same example) why the fourth movement
of Tchaikovky's Sixth seems to express certain emotions to me (and similar
ones to a very wide audience), does not mean there is not a logical
relationship.  And, in fact, I can point out several musical devices which
aid in expressing different things.  "Dark" tone colorings, the slow tempo,
the minor key, suspensions (particularly those involving a minor second),
all contribute to the emotions expressed.  A scientific explanation as to
the relationship between the devices Tchaikovsky used and the emotions we
"hear" in this work is beyond me.  But the relationship is there
nonetheless.

Michael Cooper