From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:48:19 -0000
Mitch Friedfeld wrote:

>A trip to a used CD store the other day -- here's a rarity: not only
>is the store expanding, but they are buying classical CDs regardless
>of make -- yielded an unexpected treasure: Matthias Goerne's and
>Alfred Brendel's Winterreise, recorded in October 2003 live at Wigmore
>Hall (Decca 28946-70922).  This disc has been out only for days in the
>U.S., and, I've heard, it is being released in Europe only in late
>March.  And already someone turned it in.  I think it was a promo
>copy, as it has a hole in the corner of the jewel case.  ...

Some reviewers get more than one copy!  I was at that concert in
October and really was something magical 0 and the next night was even
better.  Goerne was only six when he got hooked by Winterreise - he
didn't understand the words or feelings but just "knew" it intrigued
him.  Brendel approached Goerne about co operating more than ten years
ago, when Goerne was unknown.  Both of the regard the cycles as the high
point in their repertoire and the symbiosis is almost palpable.  This
is a Winterreise to set the benchmark for the next fifty years.  Predictably,
from minds as original as Goerne and Brendel, it's different, intensely
introspective, intelligent, dignified.  The story, of alienation, despair,
disintegration and, perhaps, hope, is as true now as it was 200 years
ago.

See

   http://www.musicweb.uk.net/SandH/2003/Oct03/schubert810.htm

>I'm sure there is a lot to learn about this cycle.  Can anybody
>recommend a book that leans toward the non-technical aspect of the
>work?  Something along the lines of the Cambridge music series would
>be ideal.

If only!  But the booklet to Goerne's first recording, ten years ago
with Johnson for Hyperion is worth getting for the booklet alone -
Johnson's notes on the Schubert series are excellent.  I'll mail it to
you.  Alternatively, there is Gerald Moore's book on the Schubert Song
Cycles, but highly influenced by his own interpretation.  Then there is
John Reed's 1920's but still good book on Schubert Song.  There are also
academic studies scattered round, and even some movies.  The beat way
is to listen, listen, listen.  I think the translation in the new CD is
by Richard Stokes, translator of the Fischer Dieskau books of song and
much else besdies.  He is one of the best writers on song, anywhere -
if he puts together ther many books that are in him, he could retire
in wealth.

The Patrick Mason Winterreise is pretty good.  PS you're not a dummy,
Mitch!

Anne