From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:14:59 PDT
Felix Delbruck wrote:

>Is the Ludus Tonalis worth looking at or does it just have pedagogical
>value?

No more so than Bach's WTC, and that has musical value in spades.

I still have much of Hindemith's output to explore, but the first music
of his I heard was the Ludus Tonalis.  I was on a Richter buying binge
and picked up this work on Pyramid.  As with much of Bach, I just keep
appreciating the Ludus Tonalis more with each hearing.  I like to think
that Richter's is the best I have, but that could be the fondness we tend
to have for first recordings of works we like.

Don Satz