From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:26:30 +1100
Gustav Styger:

>I just think it would have been wonderful if we had a cello concerto
>or sonata by him.

Back in 1999, I wrote:

    I'm also attracted to the idea of a cello concerto by Mozart.
    I'm not sure whether I'd like the slow movement to be like
    the ethereal one from the 3rd violin concerto, or the darkness
    of the one from the Sinfonia Concertante for violin and
    viola, or even the autumnal quality of the one from the
    Clarinet Concerto.  I can almost hear the cello playing the
    clarinet part.  I have a distant memory of seeing a listing
    in an ancient Schwann for a cello concerto someone cobbled
    together - does anyone know of it?

Joel Lazar replied:

    From the dusty recesses of my memory, I recall that Janos
    Starker, in the early days of LP, recorded a cello concerto
    transcribed (probably) by Gaspar Cassado from Mozart's Horn
    Concerto No. 3, K. 447.

    There is, of course, a 'cello part in the incomplete Mozart
    Sinfonia Concertante in A (along with violin and viola parts.
    This has been completed several times starting in the late
    19th century, but I don't recall the details.

Richard Pennycuick