From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 17:39:13 -0800
Hector Aguilar wrote:

>So here is the question: How many Romantic composers wrote at least two...
>but fewer than 9 symphonies?

This is probably a little like asking how many stars there are in the
sky.  It depends on how hard and long you look.  But it can be fun to
ask the question.  There were likely hundreds if not thousands of composers
who could qualify.  I'm only familiar with those composer's whose work
has been recorded (at last one symphony, anyway).

If we look only at symphonists writing after 1825 and before about 1910
(though not necessarily exclusively in that period), and leaving out the
composers already mentioned, here's a list of 78 who might qualify:

   Alfven, Arensky, Bendix, Bengtsson, Borresen, Bristow, Bruch,
   Burgmuller, Chadwick, Clementi, Cowen, Czerny, Dohnanyi, Dopper,
   Draeseke, Enesco, Farrenc, Fetis, Fibich, Foerster, Fry, Fuchs,
   Gade, German, Gernsheim, Gliere, Goldmark, Gottschalk, Gounod,
   Gretchaninov, Hamerik, Hartmann, Hol, Huber, d'Indy, Ippolitov-Ivanov,
   Kalliwoda, Lachner, Le Flem, Liapunov, Lindblad, Macfarren,
   Magnard, Martucci, Melartin, Moscheles, Mosonyi, L. Nielsen,
   Norman, Onslow, Paine, Parry, Peterson-Berger, Ponchielli,
   Reinecke, Rheinberger, Ries, Roussel, Rubenson, Rubinstein,
   Schmidt, Sinding, Smetana, Spohr, Staehle, Stanford, Stenhammar,
   Strauss, Strong, Suk, Sullivan, Svendsen, Taneyev, Tournemire,
   Volkmann, Woyrsch, Zemlinsky, and Zweers.

There are probably many more romantic symphonies recorded, and I will
eventually find them all, I swear.  And this leaves out many, many
20th-century composers who wrote symphonies in a predominately
romantic/neo-romantic style.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/