From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:52:12 +0200
Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

>I was wondering if any members of the list do shoutcasts of their private
>mp3 collection or their CDs?

Could you explain a bit more what this is? Is it sort of a Napster-type
thing whereby anyone can listen to the files you have on your computer?

>Mimi posted a message about a radio station in Boston having an an Haydn
>orgy last month, and I was just enthralled with it so much- the music as
>well as the idea you can listen anywhere in the world to what a radio
>station (or for that matter, a person) is playing.

Mimi's post of course was referring to a brick-and-mortar radio station
that also broadcasts over the web.  There are a bunch of these, including
the Mother of all CM Radio stations, BBC3.

>I was curious enough to find out how the technology works to install the
>software and if anyone is interested, I can post an address. But if anyone
>else here is already broadcasting, I'd love to hear what you listen to.

There's lots and lots of "radio stations" on the net, most set up in some
format by individuals broadcasting what interests them.  Have you explored
mp3.com? This is different than what you describe because it is like a mix
tape, it's not a live broadcast with you sitting at your computer making up
your own playlist, but there's dozens of these stations of selections of
music that people like, within the artists on mp3.com.  There's another
site, Broadcast365.com I think it's called, that is similar.

I have a couple of stations at mp3.com you can see as an example:

   http://mp3.com/stations/classicalmp3  -- wide variety of selections
   http://mp3.com/stations/cmw  --  Chamber Music on the Web
   http://mp3.com/stations/improvisation  -- The Improvisation Station