From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:35:46 +0000
Hector Aguilar writes:

>I get the impression that there are a fair number of professional or
>respected critics on this list.  Are they ever approached before a
>CD is released, to get their opinions about an ongoing project?

I've been asked to review discs before the CD release, but I have no
reason to think that my conclusions have any impact on eventual release.
Can't see why such conclusions would have any impact either.  We're
talking here about high art, not entertainment.

Broadway shows often start their lives as off-Broadway productions.  If
the show is a loser off-Broadway, it gets the axe.  But classical music
has an international distribution, and that makes for a major difference.
Also, I sure wouldn't want some group of critics/reviewers deciding if
I would have the opportunity to acquire a particular disc.  I'll take
my chances with record company decisions.

Don Satz