From:
"Stephen E. Bacher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:04:02 -0500
Marcus Maroney writes:

>I would go for some Ligeti, Knussen, Dutilleux, and/or late
>Takemitsu---music that is beautifully crafted and accessible
>but undeniably modern.

I would also highly recommend Harbison.

Be careful which Ligeti you go for.  Stay away from the Ligeti of
Aventures and Volumina if you're not voluminously adventurous.  The
Bagatelles, on the other hand, are a quite pleasant introduction.  I also
think highly of the Piano Concerto, though I don't know of a recording that
I can recommend.

 - seb