From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 04:14:06 -0400
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Donald Satz wrote:
>
>>First, Bob was criticizing Mozart's music.  Then, he was saying kind things
>>about Haydn.  Now, he's using Haydn to criticize Mozart again.  And, it's
>>all in the name of serious analysis.  Does this have an ending?
>
>I don't think my original piece read like that.  I was merely pointing out
>that Mozart and Haydn were different types of composers.  And that Haydn
>was in fact closer to Beethoven in the way he wrote and created forms that
>Mozart.

I am at odds with what Bob is saying in the second sentence of his posting.
In my view, Beethoven was not so much an inventor/creator of new forms as
he was a culminator.  I have often heard Beethoven referred to as creator
and Bach referred to as culminator.  It has seemed to me that Beethoven
just brought the art he dealt with to a new level(symphonies, piano music),
just as Bach did(counterpoint.  I would be interested in hearing what my
fellow list members have to say regarding Beethoven's inventiveness versus
his mastery of what was already known to composers of his time.  --Wes
Crone(JSB1080-Die Kunst Der Fuge---actually it's supposed to be BWV, I just
like Bach's initials better)

Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>