From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:09:28 +0000
Mike Leghorn writes:

>Of course, it's a matter of personal taste, but I don't think Satie's
>Gymnopedies are of the same scale or significance as Tristan.

The scale is certainly different, but the significance is up for grabs.
Just how are we defining 'significance'?

There's another problem with this line of reasoning.  Someone comes up
with a particular work and asks for other works since that one which are
as rewarding or even more rewarding.  It's just a case of personal taste.

I'd go with Satie's Gymnopedies over the late Brahms piano works, the
Brahms symphonies, Britten's War Requiem, and Wagner's Tristan any day
of the week.  Significance is in the eye of the beholder.

Don Satz