From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:55:16 -0500
James wrote:

>...  I've now listened to Brendel's set with interest.  The more I hear
>of Brendel's playing, live and on record, the more bemused I am by his high
>reputation.  His chords crash like a pub pianist's.  His keyboard palette
>and tone-colour remain very plain, his phrasing's emphases and sforzandi
>bobbing like lumps in porridge.

Well Brendel (for me of course) is one of the most boring pianists of
this century.For me he is one of the simbols of the German pianistic
decadence of Post-war pianists (with the great exception of Walter
Klien).Of course it's a matter of taste.  For some people of the context
of "plain" pianists,who consider not too much forte,not too much piano
etc.  he is OK.and it's not bad, as i said is a matter of taste.Ahhh..
his "fast" slow tempos drives me crayzy.  Best:

Gerardo:.