From:
Kar-Ming Chong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:29:03 +0800
Jeffrey Hall wrote:

>Instead of your favorite pieces, what are your favorite movements?

For me, it's the incomparable Mozart Piano Concerto 21 - the first movement
- version by Annie Fischer/Sawallisch (EMI Seraphim) - Annie Fischer plays
the Busoni cadenza which fits the movement really well although the
orchestral forces can be overwhelming at times.  The first movement is
great because it is exciting and increases the anticipation for the
dreamlike flow of the second movement.

Another one is also Mozart Piano Concerto - 23 - the third movement -
Casadesus/Szell/CSO - SOny.

>I think that this thread is a good idea because I find that what often
>draws me to a new work is a great movement that I heard on the radio.

And record companies are capitalising on this with CD samplers or best-of
CDs.  And who can say that none of us are not hooked into buying the full
work after listening to just one movement? I did!  - after listening to the
first movement (allegro) of Schubert's Piano Trios in E-flat, Op.  100 D.
929.

Cheers
Kar Ming