From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 14:30:13 -0700
Donald Clarke responds to me:

>>Thanks for sharing that info on Oberstein. I would also like to add
>>that the Mexican connection resulted in one of the more collectable
>>Stravinsky recordings, the Divertimento from the Fairy's Kiss as recorded
>>in Mexico. Now on CD, the original discs used to bring several hundred
>>dollars when sold at auction.
>
>Damn! That's not on the 22-CD set I reently bought at an absurdly low
>price from Europe! IS THERE NO END TO THE COLLECTING?!?

If there was an end to collecting, why would we keep on living.

That performance from Mexico is out on CD.

As for the book, how about you.  And for that matter how about the a
book with a title like:

  "Fakes, forgeries and related nonsense from the world of classical
  music recordings."

You could do a chronicle of trivia, from bad editing, to stories about
the Stravinsky/Craft recordings to Aries, Plymouth, Royale, Halo, Varsity
and other record labels.  You could open it up to pirate recordings like
those of Eddie Smith...and then the soundtrack pirates like Poo records.
They were one of my favorites.  They were supposedly issued in Japan and
featured some "notes" in Japanese.  A friend of mine had someone translate
the "notes." Apparently they came from some technical manual and had
nothing to do with the music on the discs.  At least one of the covers
featured a photocopy of a movie poster...you could see the crease in the
image.

I had wanted to do a volume on 101 Strings.  About two years ago the
company was sold and all of the paperwork and master tapes went somewhere,
I can't remember where. I was just about to offer $1,000 for the remaining
stock when I found out that many of the albums had suffered from water
damage.  I keep in my wallet a list of the album numbers I am missing...
about 350 (assuming all of the numbers were issued) I have about 300+
in my collection.  The reason there are so many gaps in my collection
is that I don't like to spend more than $2 for a record. It has become
something of a point of honor with me.

So why don't you do one of the books. What else to you have to do?

Karl