From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:33:45 PST
Jeffrey Hall wrote concerning Arcadi Volodos:

>His second disc, by the way, just won Gramophone's Instrumental Disc
>of the Year award.

I'm sorry to hear of that result.  The other finalists were Kovacevich
for his Beethoven sonata disc on EMI and Schiff for his Haydn sonata disc
for Teldec.  My opinion is that Schiff, of the three, was easily the best
- great sound, great music, and great interpretations.  The sound for
Kovacevich was brutal, and the Volodos repertoire left much to be desired.
Once again, my views are not held by the majority.  I could develop a
complex about this.

Don Satz