From:
Hector Aguilar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:29:32 -0800
Regarding corrections to the original quote, I suppose that they only
matter when the quote is given its historical context: It has been said,
perhaps with some hyperbole, that in that one night of his Carnegie Hall
concert debut Heifetz conquered all of his competition, and that _only_
Kreisler remained standing.  Another point is that Elman was considered
_the_ greatest violinist in the world until WWI, which coincided with
Heifetz' American concert debut, so it would make sense that Elman would
be feeling the most heat that night.  As for the other violin virtuosos
at the time, I remember reading that they either had to reinvent
themselves-- and Joseph Szigeti was cited as an example-- or fade into
obscurity, as many apparenltly did.

Hector Aguilar