From:
Santu Desilva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:44:02 -0400
Fabrizio Lippolis asked:

>I would also be curious to hear something by John Dowland, any good
>recording to suggest, too?

Well, my favorite John Dowland recording is by an outfit called the
Extempore String Ensemble on Musical Heritage Society.  I forget the
name of the CD, but a quick search on the Web produced:

   http://www.cddb.com/xm/cd/classical/bd0c3c0d.html

Now, MHS reissues CDs that were originally released on other labels,
and I presume this is the case with this recording too.  The playing is
very refreshing, musical, spirited.  I must confess that I have little to
compare it with, except English Consort Music, or something like that, by
Fretwork, and John Dowland, by the Dowland Consort.  I like the Extempore
SE much better.  Extremely Jolly.

Archimedes