From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:18:29 -0700
Deryk on Rzewski:

>As nobody else has yet, I'll mention Rzewski's The People United.

You know, I really wanted to like this piece.  Blame it on too many nightly
news music soundbites, but when listening to this music I just can't shed
images of South American men jumping out of Range Rovers with machine guns
and sweaty armpits, no matter how hard I try.

This music better than Ligeti's Etudes???

John Smyth, listening to VW's Hodie with his new (old) Pioneer SX-1250
150 Watt amp and Vandersteen speakers.  Wow.  (Those who consider this
generation excessive are full of balony--you can't even get a respectable
amp with a bass knob these days, let alone a loudness button.  I had to go
back to '76.