From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:31:34 -0500
Mitch Friedfeld asks:

>Can anyone tell me how many of Schubert's works that Lizst transposed?
>Is there a CD out there devoted to this genre?

I don't know how many Liszt transcribed/arranged but there are several
CDs in the complete Liszt piano music series done by pianist Leslie
Howard on the Hyperion label.  You might search at Amazon using 'Liszt'
and 'Howard' as keywords.  [For what it's worth, I also like Leopold
Godowsky's transcriptions of songs done by Konstantin Scherbakov on
Naxos.]

>What other works did Lizst transpose?  There's a a box of piano
>transcriptions of Beethoven's symphonies out there (Zimmerman?  Katsaris?).

Katsaris.  They are also included in the Howard complete Liszt set.  I
prefer Katsaris.

There is a super but so-far incomplete series of Beethoven/Liszt
transcriptions on el cheapo Naxos done by one of my favorite current
pianists, Konstantin Scherbakov.  I've revewed one of them, e.g.  the
4th & 6th here:

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000088DUG/classicalnetA/

Scott Morrison