From:
Gale Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 03:09:32 +0000
Steve Doonan wrote:

>My own favorite performance of the Rachmaninov 3rd piano concerto is by
>Lazar Berman with Claudio Abbado and the London Symphony Orchestra [CBS
>MYK37809].  Mr. Berman brings out nuances of the piece ...

Having recently heard this (on LP), my own reaction is rather different,
and "delicate" is a word that only occasionally comes to my mind to
describe it.  Whilst agreeing that certain fine details are subtly brought
out by Berman, others seem rushed or obscured, not helped (on LP, not heard
the CD) by a close, clattery, piano sound.  "Brahmsian" is my description,
curiously unidiomatic, and with rather too much of a heavy and unrelieved
mood that misses for me that bitter sweet wistfulness that is the essence
of the composer.  Having said that, this approach does allow Berman to dig
far deeper than usual into the slow movement of the concerto.

For a cleaner and more lithe virtuosity, and a finer realisation of the
different moods of the piece, my recommendation is the Byron Janis/RCA
Victrola LP from the early 60s.

I have always felt an element of contrivance in the RACHMANINOV 3rd
Concerto, though I remember a TV programme (South Bank Show, ITV UK)
profiling a pianist whose name I've forgotten, who was clearly a profound
and communicative musician struggling with a serious mental disorder, and
whose vocalisations outdid those of Glenn Gould.  He said many times in the
programme that "RACH 3" was for him the greatest piano concerto of all.

Anyone recall who I mean and what happened to him?

Gale Andrews, G.Andrews Classical LPs
http://www.galeandrews.co.uk