From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 22:08:48 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Does anyone have an opinion about which artist has done the best recording
>of "The Planets." I'd like a fully digital version done with 20 bit
>processing for the best possible sound quality.

I am certain that many list members will give you great suggestions
and many of their suggestions will probably be well-known or classic
performances.  I am going to give you one of my suggestions which is
on a budget label and is a wonderful performance.  My suggestion is
the performance by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Vernon
Handley.  The performances are first-rate in my opinion.  I love this
version and, honestly, I have never been this satisfied with a performance
of "The Planets".  To satisfy some of the requirements you listed, let me
tell you that the piece was recorded in 1993 at St. Augustine's Church in
London.  The original source masters were 20-bit and they were mastered
using 32-bit Digital Sound Processing (DSP).  Along with the planets suite
is the St. Paul's Suite for string orchestra.  It is also done nicely.
Finally, the CD is from the Platinum entertainment label, distributed by
Intersound.  I bought the CD new for $4.99 or $5.99 I don't remember which.
I STRONGLY urge you to check out this version before any others.  Hope I
have been of some help.

Wes