From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:42:48 -0500
I certainly agree with the modifier "too hasty" as applied to any
neo-classical appellation, especially in regard to (say) early Bacewicz.
(For instance, her 3rd symphony and concerto for strings both have too many
elements both Romantic and modern- the concerto suggests Bartok to me from
time to time, the symphony Borodin and several different Prokofiev works
from several different points in his career- to be so classified.) Such
works deserve to be heard on their own terms, but music critics, apparently
thinking they are programmers (for whom laziness is indeed said to be a
virtue, at least according to Larry Wall ;), sometimes prefer inaccurate
classification to active listening.

My 2c, and not a negative comment on Thanh-Tam Le's interesting post, with
which I mostly agree.

-Eric Schissel