From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 07:37:30 PDT
Wes Crone wrote:

>I will NEVER again buy another Baroque or earlier piece of music if it
>is not an HIP performance.  Maybe this seems ridiculous to some of you.

NEVER is a long time.  I am very partial to Baroque orchestral
and vocal/orchestral music on period instruments, but I buy a modern
instruments recording every year or so to see how the other half is doing.
I find modern strings out of "sync" with Baroque music; they give the works
a turgid and sour sound which is very unattractive.  Also, there are some
vocalists, such as Terfel, who sing Baroque works as they would Verdi or
Wagner, without any trace of integration with the orchestral fabric.

So, the Wes Crone "stand" is not ridiculous; it's based on personal
preference.  Will he miss out on some great modern instrument recordings?
Only if he has misjudged his preferences, and only Wes knows the answer
to that one.

Don Satz