From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:59:09 -0300
William Copper <[log in to unmask]>:

>Not too long ago I received a large packet of music
>by an unnamed publisher, full of the most pallid and uninteresting music I
>could imagine, but -- here the paradox -- it seemed written by composers
>with talent and imagination, who could have done so much better if they
>knew that better could be wanted.

I've noticed that too.  Writing music for a particular ensamble of
musicians of which one knows their technical limits is challenging mainly
because one must work with some precise self restrictions.  It's not
the same when one writes a work addressed "generically" to not-so-good
ensambles.  I guess that this second case would act subtly as a depressing
factor for the composer.  I mean, it's not the same to write a piano
concerto for a pianist who has only one hand than writing a piano concerto
that every bad pianist may easily play.

Pablo Massa