From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 17:27:17 PDT
Tom Connor wrote:

>Paying the athletes (or conductors) big salaries will attract fans
>(audience) and grow budgets, etc.  How much is left for the vendors,
>ushers, musicians, etc?  That amount may or may not be larger.  What
>share these groups get of the 'pie' depends on their economic power.
>And around and around it goes.
>
>The issue at hand is what does society want to do about it?

Concerning sports and music, I doubt that society wants to do a thing about
it, and I support that view.  I can't see what in the world there is about
either field that calls for something to be done by society (which would
actually mean Government).

>That is not an economic issue, but deals with the values of society.

Tom and many others make it more than an economic issue, but it needn't
be.  We aren't talking about mental health, national defense, or food that's
contaminated/poisonous.  We're talking sports and music.  It isn't that
sports and music are trivial fields, but they are more in an *optional*
arena.  I love classical music, but I'm going to keep going and enjoy life
even if it didn't exist.  I eat poisonous food, and enjoyment is the last
of my worries.

Don Satz