From:
Felix Delbrueck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 09:48:24 +1200
Derek Barker recommended Solomon's Beethoven, and John Dalmas wondered
where to get it.  The last 6 sonatas are on one of those EMI Classics
historical CDs.

I'd second Deryk's recommendation.  Solomon's interpretations work very
much within the parameters of Beethoven's performance markings, and they
don't underline anything, so I don't think they always 'get behind' the
music as explicitly as they might otherwise.  But within those limits, the
pianism and musical expression is very subtle and finely differentiated.
And while they're not 'titanic' or anything like that, his reading's aren't
bloodless either - the fast movements have great elan and propulsion.  The
Hammerklavier is probably the best of the lot, although I can't remember
what the fugue was like; op 101 and 109 are outstanding.  The last two
sonatas I found relatively disappointing, but I came to them from the
freer and more declamatory approach of Schnabel and Levy respectively
the latter's op 111 is an even greater experience than his op 106 - not
to be missed).

Felix Delbruck