From:
Peter Varley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:11:20 +0100
Achim Breiling (on contemporary music):

>Well, I have the same problem...but I try to get people interested, but
>mostly I get no reply to my postings...

There could be several reasons for that:

Perhaps everyone agrees with you. "Me too" postings are discouraged.

Perhaps you know contemporary music better than the rest of us.  For
example, I hadn't realised that Schittke's style had changed.  Up to now,
I've been ignoring his music on the grounds that I'd heard some of the
polystylistic stuff and decided it didn't appeal to me.  How does his more
recent music compare with (for example) Vasks or Kancheli?

Or perhaps people are a bit nervous about posting an opinion about
something where there's no consensus as yet.  Obviously, there are
excellent composers and terrible composers and all shades in between,
just as there have always been, but people either aren't sure which they
think are which, or are shy of saying which are which in public in case
the consensus happens to disagree.  BTW, the only currently-active composer
I'm sure of is Kancheli - he's one of the excellent ones.

Peter Varley