From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:03:17 -0500
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>RCA has issued a new recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations by the
>Canadian Brass.  This is the first time I have heard the work by a brass
>ensemble, and I was looking forward to the experience.  Unfortunately, I
>didn't find it particularly stimulating or enjoyable.

Some of the variations work well in this arrangement, some don't,
and some of them are nearly impossible to play on brass instruments.
Overall I enjoyed this release; the technical mastery of the performers
is definitely first rate and they have the right musical instintcs.  The
interplay between voices in some of the variations have a clarity and a
unique perspective due to the brass sonorities which is enough to make
this CD a keeper for me.

On the other hand, purists of any kind and repeat-nazis should avoid it
like the plague.

Ulvi