From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:09:15 -0500
Philip Peters wrote:

>...the Schneiderhan version [of the Violin Concerto] is also of value
>because the composer is directing his work here.

Not the version on my London/ Double Decker: Ernest Ansermet is credited.

A piece that Martin himself does conduct, and which has yet to be mentioned
in this thread, is his Harpsichord Concerto, coupled with his Ballades for
Trombone and for Piano & Orchestra ("Frank Martin dirige Frank Martin,"
Jecklin 529-2; nla, I believe)

I'd heard it said that this was the 20th century's second greatest
Harpsichord Concerto, after Falla's.  I'm not sure about 1st, 2nd and 3rd
(and I'd sure put Martinu's among that number) but I got it recently, and
haven't been disappointed.  It's an exquisite, subtle work, and clearly
another Martin masterpiece.

(BTW, my copy was dug up from the warehouse of an Internet CD store,
through our friend Len Mullenger -- despite being nla, as far as I could
tell, for a couple of years or more.  Maybe they have another copy.  I was
also informed by Naxos that they'll be releasing a new version, this year
or next.)

Bert Bailey